Over 1000 people attended the ceremony in Chorley town centre today to witness Chorley’s MP Lindsay Hoyle and Sister Francis Calberbank, whose father served in the Chorley Pals, unveil the new memorial to remember the 222 soldiers of the Chorley Pals – Y Company, 11th (Service) Battalion East Lancashire Regiment who left the town in February 1915 to fight in World War One.
The unveiling was preceded by a parade through the town headed by a colour party and soldiers of the 1st Battalion, Duke of Lancaster‟s Regiment. They were joined by members of the local Territorial Army detachment as well as Army, Sea and Air Cadets, colours and representatives of the Royal British Legion, the Chorley & District Ex-Services Association, the Royal Air Force Association and members of the Duke of Lancaster‟s Regimental Association.
Following the unveiling, there was a Service of Dedication and Act of Remembrance conducted by Rev. T.D. Wilby (St. George‟s Church), Fr. F. Marsden (St. Mary‟s RC Church) and Rev. A. Mashiter (Chorley Superintendent Methodist Minister). The ceremony ended with The Last Post, a minutes silence and the National Anthem.
The Chorley Pals Memorial Committee would sincerely like to thank the people of Chorley, the financial donors and everyone who has helped in any way over the past 3 years to make this permanent memorial to the soldiers from Chorley who went to war 95 years ago, many of whom did not return, possible.