MOORE, James Johnson Sgt. MM 16013

James Moore

James Moore

James Moore was born at 136A Bolton Street in Chorley on the 12th August 1883, the son of Mary and James Johnson Moore. The 1901 Census had him living at 12 Goulding Street with his widowed mother and working as a Collier. He married Margaret Ann Parkinson at St. George’s Church in Chorley in 1904 and by 1911 they were living at 3 Grime Street; they eventually had four children. He was known to worship at Railway Street Methodist Church in Chorley.

He was wounded sometime during the war and was recommended for a bravery award in 1918. The following is a transcript of Lt. Colonel Rickman’s recommendation for an immediate award:

11th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment,
92nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division

No. 16013 Lance Corporal James Johnson Moore

On the 27th March 1918, when the battalion was holding the high ground between COURCELLES LE COMTE and AYETTE, this NCO was in charge of a Lewis Gun Post. During the attack on this position the NCO remained at his post until ordered to retire, to escape heavy shell fire. Later when the enemy barrage had lifted he returned to his post, forming part of the counter attack, and from this time onwards kept his gun in action defending the Courcelles-Ayette road, until he was ordered to withdraw. His action was the means of saving the left flank of the battalion, which was exposed.

He brought his gun out of action under heavy rifle and machine gun fire, having great courage coolness and courage throughout.

He was a splendid example to the men of his platoon.

Recommended for the Military Medal.

4/4/18 SIGNED:  A W Rickman
Lt Col Commanding 11th East Lancs Regt

His second man on the machine gun during the engagement on the 27th March was Private Joseph Pilkington. Many in the Chorley Pals thought that James Moore should have been awarded the Victoria Cross. His award of the Military Medal was published in the London Gazette on the 16th July 1919; sadly his medal was stolen. James Moore worked at the Royal Ordnance Factory in Chorley during World War Two until he retired in the 1940s; he died in 1958.